عنوان مقاله [English]
One of the topics of interest to motor behavior researchers is to examine the different effects of attention strategies on motor behavior and brain activity.The aim of this study was to investigate the role of attention instructions on alpha and theta wave variations and the accuracy of dart throwing. 20 male students novice in dart (age range 19-22 years old) were voluntarily selected. This study was application. Firstly, the participants performed 10 attempts of dart throwing in the baseline (no attention instructions). Then, as a counterbalance, 20 practice attempts were performed in both the external and internal attention strategies. In all attempts, the alpha and theta brain waves of the subjects were recorded using biofeedback device and the radial error formula was used to measure accuracy. The data were analyzed by in-group variance analysis with repeated measures and Bonferroni post hoc test at a significance level of 0.05. The results showed that the external attention strategy increased the accuracy of the dart throwing (P=0.0001), increased alpha wavelength (P=0.01) and reduced theta wave (P=0.01) in comparison with the internal attention strategy. These findings showed the need to use attention instructions particularly external attention in targeting skill task at a beginner level; therefore, it is suggested that coaches should use external attention strategy to improve the accuracy and intelligence of the brain in beginners.
1. Abernethy B, Maxwell JP, Jackson RC, Masters RSJHoac. Skill in sport. 2007;2:333-59.
2. Wulf GJIJoSS, Coaching. Increases in jump-and-reach height through an external focus of attention: A response to the commentary by Keith Davids. 2007;2(3):289-92.
3. Wulf GJIRos, psychology E. Attentional focus and motor learning: a review of 15 years. 2013;6(1):77-104.
4. Mann DT, Coombes SA, Mousseau MB, Janelle CMJCP. Quiet eye and the Bereitschaftspotential: visuomotor mechanisms of expert motor performance. 2011;12(3):223-34.
5. Beilock SL, Carr TH, MacMahon C, Starkes JLJJoEPA. When paying attention becomes counterproductive: impact of divided versus skill-focused attention on novice and experienced performance of sensorimotor skills. 2002;8(1):6.
6. Castaneda B, Gray RJJoS, Psychology E. Effects of focus of attention on baseball batting performance in players of differing skill levels. 2007;29(1):60-77.
7. Russell R, Porter J, Campbell OJJoML, Development. An external skill focus is necessary to enhance performance. 2014;2(2):37-46.
8. Neumann DL, Brown JJJoP. The effect of attentional focus strategy on physiological and motor performance during a sit-up exercise. 2013.
9. Saemi E, Porter J, Wulf G, Ghotbi–Varzaneh A, Bakhtiari SJKIjof, kinesiology a. Adopting an external focus of attention facilitates motor learning in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. 2013;45(2):179-85.
10. Wulf G, McNevin N, Shea CHJTQJoEPSA. The automaticity of complex motor skill learning as a function of attentional focus. 2001;54(4):1143-54.
11. Prinz W. A common coding approach to perception and action. Relationships between perception and action: Springer; 1990. p. 167-201.
12. Davids KJIJoSS, Coaching. Increases in jump-and-reach height through an external focus of attention: A commentary. 2007;2(3):285-8.
13. Davids KW, Button C, Bennett SJ. Dynamics of skill acquisition: A constraints-led approach: Human Kinetics; 2008.
14. Mann DT. The role of the quiet-eye period and the Bereitschaftspotential in arousal regulation and motor preparation for performance of a self-paced motor skill: University of Florida; 2007.
15. Schmidt RA, Lee TD, Winstein C, Wulf G, Zelaznik HN. Motor control and learning: A behavioral emphasis: Human kinetics; 2018.
16. Mayer K, Blume F, Wyckoff SN, Brokmeier LL, Strehl UJCN. Neurofeedback of slow cortical potentials as a treatment for adults with Attention Deficit-/Hyperactivity Disorder. 2016;127(2):1374-86.
17. MOHAMMADZADEH H, NAZARI MA, HEIDARI M. THE EFFECT OF NEUROFEEDBACK TRAINING ON DYNAMIC BALANCE OF YOUNG MEN. 2015.
18. Mikicin M, Orzechowski G, Jurewicz K, Paluch K, Kowalczyk M, Wróbel AJANE. Brain-training for physical performance: a study of EEG-neurofeedback and alpha relaxation training in athletes. 2015;75:434-45.
19. Hammond DCJC, Clinics AP. Neurofeedback with anxiety and affective disorders. 2005;14(1):105-23.
20. Daou M, Hutchison Z, Bacelar M, Rhoads JA, Lohse KR, Miller MWJJoEPA. Learning a skill with the expectation of teaching it impairs the skill’s execution under psychological pressure. 2018.
21. Wilson V, Peper EJB. Athletes are different: Factors that differentiate biofeedback/neurofeedback for sport versus clinical practice. 2011;39(1):27-30.
22. Park SH, Yi CW, Shin JY, Ryu YUJJopts. Effects of external focus of attention on balance: a short review. 2015;27(12):3929-31.
23. Radlo SJ, Steinberg GM, Singer RN, Barba DA, Melnikov AJIjosp. The influence of an attentional focus strategy on alpha brain wave activity, heart rate and dart-throwing performance. 2002.
24. Wilson V, Thompson M, Thompson L, Peper EJB, Ed naisp. Using EEG for enhancing performance: Arousal, attention, self talk, and imagery. 2011:175-98.
25. Paul M, Ganesan S, Sandhu JS, Simon JVJIJoM, Sciences B. Effect of Sensory Motor Rhythm Neurofeedback on Psycho-physiological, Electro-encephalographic Measures and Performance of Archery Players. 2012;4(2).
26. Van der Lubbe RH, Bundt C, Abrahamse ELJBr. Internal and external spatial attention examined with lateralized EEG power spectra. 2014;1583:179-92.
27. Benedek M, Schickel RJ, Jauk E, Fink A, Neubauer ACJN. Alpha power increases in right parietal cortex reflects focused internal attention. 2014;56:393-400.
28. Walter N, Nikoleizig L, Alfermann DJS. Effects of Self-Talk Training on Competitive Anxiety, Self-Efficacy, Volitional Skills, and Performance: An Intervention Study with Junior Sub-Elite Athletes. 2019;7(6):148.
29. Chapman LJ, Chapman JPJB, cognition. The measurement of handedness. 1987;6(2):175-83.
30. Emanuel M, Jarus T, Bart OJPT. Effect of focus of attention and age on motor acquisition, retention, and transfer: a randomized trial. 2008;88(2):251-60.
31. Rijken NH, Soer R, de Maar E, Prins H, Teeuw WB, Peuscher J, et al. Increasing performance of professional soccer players and elite track and field athletes with peak performance training and biofeedback: a pilot study. 2016;41(4):421-30.
32. Lohse KR, Jones M, Healy AF, Sherwood DEJJoEPG. The role of attention in motor control. 2014;143(2):930.
33. Sherwood DE, Lohse KR, Healy AFJJoEPHP, Performance. Judging joint angles and movement outcome: Shifting the focus of attention in dart-throwing. 2014;40(5):1903.
34. Land WM, Tenenbaum G, Ward P, Marquardt CJJoS, Psychology E. Examination of visual information as a mediator of external focus benefits. 2013;35(3):250-9.
35. Schlesinger M, Porter J, Russell R. An external focus of attention enhances manual tracking performance.
36. Wulf G, Lewthwaite RJEaAnpia, action. Effortless motor learning? An external focus of attention enhances movement effectiveness and efficiency. 2010:75-101.
37. Hossner E-J, Ehrlenspiel F. Paralysis by analysis and nodal-point motor control. 2006.
38. Northoff G, Grimm S, Boeker H, Schmidt C, Bermpohl F, Heinzel A, et al. Affective judgment and beneficial decision making: ventromedial prefrontal activity correlates with performance in the Iowa Gambling Task. 2006;27(7):572-87.
39. McKay B, Wulf G, Lewthwaite R, Nordin AJQJoEP. The self: Your own worst enemy? A test of the self-invoking trigger hypothesis. 2015;68(9):1910-9.
40. Zentgraf K, Lorey B, Bischoff M, Zimmermann K, Stark R, Munzert JJJoMB. Neural correlates of attentional focusing during finger movements: A fMRI study. 2009;41(6):535-41.
41. Gazzaley A, Nobre ACJTics. Top-down modulation: bridging selective attention and working memory. 2012;16(2):129-35.
42. Tanaka M, Ishii A, Watanabe YJB, Functions B. Physical fatigue increases neural activation during eyes-closed state: a magnetoencephalography study. 2015;11(1):35.
43. Tanaka Y, Sekiya HJHMS. The influence of monetary reward and punishment on psychological, physiological, behavioral and performance aspects of a golf putting task. 2011;30(6):1115-28.
44. Starkes JL, Ericsson KA. Expert performance in sports: Advances in research on sport expertise: Human Kinetics; 2003.
45. Janelle CM, Hillman CJEpisAirose. Expert performance in sport. 2003:19-47.